All of a sudden it’s March, and although I am always happy to see warmer weather and promises of sunshine (seriously, Aachen must be payback for the six years I lived in San Diego) I am a little sad to see February go.
I forgot to mention a couple awesome things about my birthday:
1. My husband gave me my very first bottle of real perfume. I usually just use a lightly scented lotion or body spray, but I have been talking for ages about trying out actual perfume. The thing is, I get overwhelmed by all the choices in the store — not to mention the pushy, in-your-face salespeople. So my husband, whose sense of smell is way better than mine anyway, gave me a bottle of Calvin Klein Beauty. It will take a while to get used to wearing it, but I love the scent!
2. My parents gave me a Kindle. I wasn’t sure about having one (I don’t often reread books, so I used public libraries a ton in the U.S.) but so far I’m pleased with it.
My current reading list:
- House of Leaves (real book, the one in the photo)
- Das Jahr der Flut (real book, translation from English)
- The Hunger Games (Kindle)
- The World in Words (Kindle — free!)
- The Book of Deacon (Kindle — also free, thinking about getting this fantasy bundle)
- Poor Economics (Part of my MITx course on Global Poverty)
My favorite genres are non-fiction and sci-fi/fantasy, so I usually have a mix of the two on my reading list. (I’m always looking for recommendations!) Last year was pretty non-fiction heavy, though, so I admit that in my free time lately I have spent more time reading fiction. 🙂
And now … March. Lots of exciting things to keep me busy this month!