Time seems to be flying by, and my to-do list is only getting longer. Here is what’s on my mind:
1. Arrival: We have set our arrival date and bought our plane tickets. Thank goodness for that! We are wishing now that we could push back the date, but in reality having a set date helps me plan.
2. Housing: We were lucky enough to get a guesthouse with RWTH Aachen for the month of December. Now we need to secure a place for the last two weeks of November, which is looking to be very expensive. Thankfully it’s only for a short time. Hopefully by January we will have found a more permanent home.
3. Insurance: I finally settled on international insurance with ALC Health. It is pricier than my current insurance but cheaper than the German plans, and it fits my needs fairly well. I haven’t yet paid the premium, though, so I still have time to change my mind if I uncover a better option.
4. Moving: We are fully on the hunt for renters to take over our current home. We rent, so it isn’t as difficult as finding renters a place we own. However, we need to end our lease early and really want someone who can move in right away to release us from liability for the remaining rent. We have also catalogued all the items to sell and are trying to unload as much stuff as we can so we don’t end up lugging it around Germany. Thankfully, once that is done we have movers coming to pack and ship all of our remaining things.
5. Enjoying Ourselves: We’re leaving one of the most sunny, warm, beautiful places either of us has ever seen. And we’re moving to a wet winter climate. So of course we are trying to spend time at the beach, at our favorite restaurants, at the local milongas, and with our friends here. We want to leave here with happy memories and a sense of satisfaction.